[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: Wed Apr 24 12:31:53 2002
On Tue, 23 April 2002, W0uo@cs.com wrote

> It may be that, like SO Assisted, SO2R is not a
> significant advantage.  Its time we found out.

This is the wrong question.

No one said that SO2R was not an advantage.  From what
I've read, most agree that it is a significant
advantage.  Anything that provides a detectable
improvement to one's score is a "significant"
advantage - IOW, one worth undertaking.  If it wasn't
an advantage, why would anyone bother doing it?

The right question is:  Does SO2R warrant a separate
category (and why)?  The number of things providing
(significant or otherwise) advantage is virtually
endless and they have been listed here ad nauseum.
Virtually none of them have a distinct category.  Why
does SO2R stand out in some minds?  I sense it is not
simply because it offers an advantage.  To me it
almost seems like it is simply because it is a
politically-correct-to-question operating technique.

Is it a bolt-on advantage like an amplifier?  No, SO2R
requires a high degree of skill to use.  Is it like
packet?  No, all advantages from SO2R come from within
one's own efforts.  Is it like having big antennas
(which generally have no separate category)?  No, most
of the work required to extract an advantage from big
antennas is done well before the contest period.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com