[CQ-Contest] RESULTS: Advice on CW/contest rig for $1000-$2000?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RESULTS: Advice on CW/contest rig for $1000-$2000?
From: kiddi@marel.is (Kristinn Andersen)
Date: Fri May 18 11:07:19 2001
I got the following results on my inquiry:

10 recommended FT-1000MP
5 recommended TS-850(SAT)
4 recommended IC-765
3 recommended TS-990
2 recommended IC-756

1 recommended each:
FT-847, IC-746, TS-930, TS-940, TS-950SD.

I got suggestions for new or used rigs, and in some cases comments on each
one.  Clearly, the FT-1000MP is a winner here.  I had originally been
thinking about the TS-570DG but received several advices to stay away from
it.  At any rate, thanks everyone, and below is a copy of my original
inquiry.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

=== Original inquiry ===

Hi, everyone:

I need to replace my old TS-440S and am planning to purchase a good
new/recent model transceiver in the $1000-$2000 range.  My primary
interests are:

   1) CW
   2) Contesting
   3) Digital modes.

I have not been following closely what is "in" lately, and I would
appreciate suggestions on:

- Which brand/model are preferred for the above (TS-570DG is one I´ve been
considering)
- Do you suggest any specific mods or accessories (my FoxTango Xtal filters
in the old 440 worked wonders).

Appreciate your feedback and I will summarize for the list.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX