[CQ-Contest] A plug for radio and contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A plug for radio and contesting
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: Wed Apr 11 09:35:42 2001
See second article of:

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/04/10/home_auto/q_cost_hobby/index.htm

Yeah, there's a few errors, but that's what you get when you weren't
allowed to proof it.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

From: =?iso-8859-4?B?VPVubm8gVuRoaw==?=" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee
(=?iso-8859-4?B?VPVubm8gVuRoaw==?=)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Introducing ES OPEN 2001!

Hallo contesters,

I would like to draw your attention to Estonian Open HF Championships
2001. ES OPEN is an exiting small contest that lasts for 4 hours on Saturday
morning. It takes place on April 21st 05.00 - 08.59 UTC.

Contest takes place simultaneously on 80 and 40 meters. There are usually
about 60 ES stations in the air and theoretically you can work each station
8 times: 4 times on 80 and 4 times on 40 meters. Time difference between
QSOs with the same station on a specific band has to be at least 60 minutes.
ES stations can work everybody and foreign stations can work only ES
stations.

Although the time of the day and the frequencies limit active participation
to mainly European stations I would encourage also other continents
including North
America to try out propagation on 40 meters. There might be very interesting
conditions
and you could work quite a few ES stations. We have had participants from
North America
and VK/ZL before.

Due to it's peculiar and original 60 minute rule there has not been a good
logging program available for the contest and that factor has probably
limited the
number of participants. Now there is a freeware program that is written by
ES7GN specially for ES OPEN. It's called ES OPEN Logger. Version 1.0 can be
downloaded from ES7GN web site at http://www.qsl.net/es7gn/Binal/esopen.zip.
So far it does not support CW sending yet but does all the logging and other
processes needed. We encourage you to try it out and take part in the
contest where you can probably work all Estonian prefixes (10 of them
including HQ ES9) and gain special and beautiful trophies from ERAU awarded
to the best participants in the international sections (separate classes for
MIXED, SSB, CW, QRP, MULTI and SWL). It is also a great opportunity to
fulfil the requirements for Estonia Award: http://www.erau.ee/eng/award.html

Each CW QSO gives 2 points and SSB QSO 1 point. Multipliers are ES region
prefixes (ES1 - ES0) on each band, thus maximum 20. Report is RS(T) plus
serial number starting 001 (continuous, not separate per band).

Recommended frequencies are:
CW: 3530 - 3560 and 7010 - 7030  KHZ.
SSB: 3600 - 3650 and 7060 - 7090  KHZ .

Official rules of the contest and the results from previous years can be
found from ERAU web site: http://www.erau.ee and also from popular contest
calendars, e.g. SM3CER Contest Service at http://www.sk3bg.se/contest/

Logs should be sent to Toomas Soomets, ES5RY, P.O. BOX 177, TARTU 50002,
ESTONIA or via e-mail (preferred) to esopen@erau.ee
Even if you write QSOs on paper during the contest ES OPEN Logger will
easily prepare a correct electronic log for you.

There is also a special site created by ES7AGW for submitting unofficial
scores after the contest: http://www.matti.ee/~es7club/esopen/esopen.php,
so you can let others know of your result.

Look forward to meeting you in ES OPEN and other contests!

73s Tonno Vahk, ES5TV, member of ES5Q-ES9C team,
ERAU HF Manager
ES5TV@erau.ee
tel. +372 51 59 019