[CQ-Contest] Errors, Credit, and Logs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Errors, Credit, and Logs
From: ae327@lafn.org (Richard J. Norton)
Date: Mon Dec 20 13:36:32 1999
> If an entrant works HG1S, and logs him as VU2XQJ, and then works him
> again and gets the callsign correct, is it possible that he could
receive
> credit for two contacts?

Yes, it is possible. It is also possible that the entrant will lose
credit for 4 contacts for the VU2XQJ mistake. It depends on the log
checking software, databases, and how the contest is scored.

> If an entrant works HG1S, and logs him as OX/N6AA, and then works
 > him again and gets the callsign correct, is it possible that he
could
> receive credit for two contacts?

No. The difference is that OX/N6AA will send in an ELECTRONIC log. The
scoring software will find that the entrant didn't actually work
OX/N6AA, and he will lose credit.

There can be all kinds of schemes used to determine if callsigns are
good or bad. They all work on assumptions that have been found to
nearly always be true. They are used because they produce a better and
fairer result than not using them. However, none of them are as good
as having real data.

Help the people who judge contests do a better job. Send an ELECTRONIC
log in, even if you are not a serious competitor or only made a small
number of contacts.

Thanks for your help in whatever contests I help judge.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA