[CQ-Contest] It's SV, not SCV!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] It's SV, not SCV!
From: KC1F@prodigy.net (KC1F)
Date: Mon Apr 26 07:59:06 1999
Hi everyone - good point Bill.  It's easy to overestimate the English
language skills of guys working us in ARRL SSB, for example.  I routinely
hear them hovering over the keyboard with the mike open, trying to figure
out what two-letter combination matches up with "New Hampshire".  Saying
the state name is however two syllables shorter than "November Hotel", and
I'll continue using it.  "Massachusetts", on the other hand, is a mouthful.
 K1AR says "Mike Alpha".  "Maine" is too short, frequently requiring "State
of Maine", so I hear.  The YCCC may have won the ARRL contest because we
didn't have to say "Penn-syl-van-i-a" all weekend, hi !

                                73      Stu     KC1F@prodigy.net

----------
> From: Bill Fisher, W4AN <w4an@contesting.com>
> To: Jim Pratt <n6ig@netcom.com>; cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] It's SV, not SCV!
>

> I frequently make this mistake on SSB.  I'm not from California, and at
> 150+/hr it is easy for me to make this mistake.  I always have to think
> twice when someone says "Sacramento Valley".
>
> My thoughts are that you the SV operator is to blame by signing
"Sacramento
> Valley" instead of "Sierra Victor".  This is the same mistake USA
stations
> make in the ARRL DX contests by signing "Georgia" instead of "Gulf
Alpha".