[CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Club Competition

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Club Competition
From: w4kh@jackatak.theporch.com (Jack GF Hill, W4KH)
Date: Mon Nov 2 16:17:39 1998
Hans (et al)-

> > We have also submitted a recommendation to the ARRL for
> > review of the club category to include the ARRL section
> > in which the club resides.

> Bad move!
Nope, a GOOD move.... Please READ (more carefully) the suggested
change...

We *NEVER* suggested that the 175 mile radius be REDUCED to only a
single section, but for those of us in Tennessee, a state that
stretches from about 150 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, all the way to
the Mississippi River, we can not include all the members of our Club,
who live in Tennessee because of this silly rule...

Our suggestion (which has been talked about on the contest reflector
as well as other forums) is to have the Team Competition *include*
those members in the 175 mile circle *AND* the home section of the
club.

Tennessee is barely 120 miles wide, but 1/4 of the way from Nashville
to New York City is STILL only Morristown, TN, and that is a goodly
ways from the Tennessee-Virginia Border!

> Heck, we'd have to fire half our members.
And we have to tell a large contingent of our members, people who have
discovered the joys of contesting through the efforts of our club
members that they can NOT submit scores to help the Club because they
live on the wrong side of a silly and arbitrary line....

> The center of our club is
> at Little Falls, MN, and we have members in 4 ARRL Sections (MN, ND,
> SD, WI) and 2 ARRL Divisions (Dakota and Central).  Parts of Iowa and
> Manitoba probably fall inside our 175 mile circle also.  We just
> haven't recruited any members there.  Please *DON'T* restrict us to
> one ARRL section!
PLEASE, Hans, wipe off those glasses and read again what we are
suggesting....

The 175 mile circle *AND* the home section of the club...
--
73, Jack W4KH
w4kh@jackatak.theporch.com - "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose"