[CQ-Contest] TS-870 for contesting?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS-870 for contesting?
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Thu Mar 19 20:35:29 1998
Anyone on here using a TS-870 for contesting?  If so, I dont see how.

I am using one for doing remote control of my station during non-contest
times and it is absolutely the best radio out for control via RS-232.  But
I dont see any way this radio could be considered for contesting.

1.  The front end falls apart with loud signals on the band.  If you have
ever experienced a Icom IC-745 or IC-740 on 160 meters in the 160 contest
than you know what this one sounds like.

2.  There is no RX antenna jack!  How can you make a near top of the line
radio with IF DSP and not put a jack on the back of it for an external
receive antenna?

3.  They should learn a lesson from Yaesu on putting as many connectors as
possible on the back of a radio.  Nobody wants to mess with DIN connectors.

Still havn't heard anything that beats my FT1000MP's for contesting.
Omni-6 still best receiver I've heard.

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)