[CQ-Contest] Need Ideas Contesting Discussion at Dayton Youth Forum

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Need Ideas Contesting Discussion at Dayton Youth Forum
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun Mar 15 13:56:57 1998
In a message dated 98-03-15 13:28:18 EST, w2gd@hotmail.com writes:

> I have been granted 10 to 12 minutes of time to address the Dayton
>  Hamvention Youth Forum regarding contesting.
>
>  I am looking for ideas - how should this short talk be approached?

     This is a sales situation/challenge. What you don't talk about is the
process (the steak, the equipment, etc.). What you DO talk about the SIZZLE!
This is the fun! The challenge! The thrills! The WOW factor.

      Talk about your own experiences from when you were a pup until you you
caught the flame. Make analogies to any other kind of racing (cars, etc.) or
competitive event. WRTC=Olympics.

     Tell them that contesters are among the most ambitious, most competitive,
most interesting people in the hobby and they could learn more as a part of
that group than any other.

     Show them slides of contesters from around the world. Maybe one or two
shots of a big station - the WOW factor again.

     Like Martin Jue said, ham radio isn't about talking to people - it's
about using the equipment. Talk about how it is the biggest video game in the
world and you get to use the equipment to do it.

     You sure 10-12 minutes is enough?

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC