[CQ-Contest] Answering CQs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Answering CQs
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Mar 12 10:02:50 1998
>-------Original message from KC5AJX------
>
>>I try to use my complete call in contests, but having a 2x3 call is
>>hard if not impossible to get my call in befire the CQing station
>>starts calling CO again. Sometimes if I say my call as fast as I can
>>with no phonetics I can just get it in but not allways.

I sympathize with this to a degree, but let me offer a slightly different
slant.  When running on a crowded band, timing is the key to answering the
question, "Is he calling me?"  This is particularly true with people
frequently responding as much as 300 Hz off my frequency (on CW).

I set my auto-CQ routine (when I use it) to allow about 4 seconds between
CQs.  But if I haven't heard someone start giving his call within the first
half-second or so, I assume I'm going to come up dry.  99 percent of all
answers start within the first 2 seconds, and as long as I get one
character, I start entering it, which causes TRLog to stop CQing and wait
for the rest.  Under these circumstances, callsign length is immaterial.

73,

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia