[CQ-Contest] Re: GRAY LINE MAP

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: GRAY LINE MAP
From: scace@uu.net (Eric Scace)
Date: Sun Jan 18 07:49:03 1998
John --

   In addition to being able to obtain a great circle map set at your
location, the STARTING and ENDING boundaries of the grey line can be set to
any value.  I have set mine so that the gray line:
   -- starts when the sunrise/sunset line hits the atmosphere at the height
of the D layer...
   -- ends where the sunrise/sunset line contacts the height of the F-layer.

   This has an additional advantage over traditional gray line displays,
since it illustrates, at sunset:
   .. when the sun stops illuminating the D layer, and absorption starts to
decline
   .. when the sun stops illuminating the F layer, and ionization starts to
decrease more rapidly.

   The inverse is indicated in the sunrise portion.

   When one examines the path a great circle radio signal takes through
this grey line, it becomes much easier to see when signals will peak on the
low bands (low absorption, some F layer illumination occuring).

-- Eric

At 03:31 PM 1/16/98 -0500, John Warren wrote:
>Bob N8YGG wrote:
>
> |Go to the home page of GeoClock, they offer both a shareware and a
> |pay for version that are great.  It includes a screen saver also.
> |I'm currently running the shareware version under both 3.1 and 95
> |and it handles both with no problem. They also offer a ham version
> |to buy. Their web site is at:
> |
> |http://www.clark.net/pub/bblake/geoclock/
>
>But the gray line is not plotted on to a great circle map for your
>location. That's what is REALLY needed to understand propagation. Don't
>think that exists however, certainly not in real-time software (either MAC
>or Windows).
>
>John, NT5C.
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/