[CQ-Contest] ft-107m as a contest rig??

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ft-107m as a contest rig??
From: RThompson@factorysoft.com (Randy Thompson)
Date: Mon Jan 5 08:44:00 1998
I won 4 ARRL Sweepstakes CW contests using FT-107Ms!  That was 1981-1985
so this radio is a bit dated.  I think I was the only serious contester
who ever used one.  Many people remember it for its unique sound during
one year.  I think the QST write-up used the phrase, "Things really
clicked for Randy this year." [Some of the FT-107Ms have problems with
severe key clicks on the leading edge of CW characters if the RF output
is turned up to the full 100W.]

The FT-107M is (was) a great radio for its day.  It was the last JA
radio that still had a real VFO (i.e., the last of the non-digital
rigs).  It had a very hot receiver that worked great on 10 meters.
Unfortunately the front end is pretty wide open so it has some trouble
with strong adjacent signals.  The S-meter makes you think the bands are
really open because all the signals are over S9.

It does have solid-state finals -- no tuning required.  It can't put out
much more than 100W.

If you want a fun low cost radio that runs on 12VDC, buy it.  If you are
looking for a more serious "performance oriented" radio for DXing and
contesting, move up a little to at least a TS-930S or later (TS-940S
excepted).

Randy, K5ZD