[CQ-Contest] Guest Operators

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Guest Operators
From: n9yxa@ix.netcom.com (N9YXA-Cedrick Johnson)
Date: Fri Nov 21 23:43:09 1997
Hello. I have been reading the messages about this topic, and decided
to come out with my statement.

All of the best antennas, amps, rigs, switching devices, etc. won't
equal up to operating tactics. Sometimes you have to revert back to
the "hard way" (wires, 100W or less) and learn how to become an
exceptional "hard way" operator, so that once you get the Best Of The
Best, you will be with the Best. I've experienced this firsthand (not
the Best Of the Best Part). This time last year, my Kenwood TS-180S
was in the shop. So, I went and borrowed a reciever and transmitter
(separate units) for the first time and ran CQWW SSB. The things I
learned from that, I put in practice for NAQP SSB from WA9TPQ
's house (Best Of the Best), and took 1st in Illinois, 3rd in the
Great Lakes Region.

I am 16, and here's my advice to my fellow hams:
Hang in there. Rough it out with the "hard way" equipment. Then, once
you get the money to get the "Best Of The Best", you will know how to
operate in such a manner that you will eventually become 1st in
something.. Keep striving, always improving..

Let me get off the soapbox before I type a 50 page report!
de N9YXA

Cedrick Johnson - N9YXA - Z2/N9YXA
10-10: 67368, Soc. Of Midwest Contesters
Aurora, IL 60506-2134
Packet: n9yxa@w9zmr.en52va.il.us.na
DX Cluster Home Node: K9AJ- Crete, IL