[CQ-Contest] 1 X 1 Callsigns-Contest Advantage?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1 X 1 Callsigns-Contest Advantage?
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Mon Nov 10 20:31:02 1997
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Jerry Boyd wrote:

> Well, it looks like the definition of what constitutes a "special event" is
> pretty open, so we have recently seen 1 X 1's showing up in contests.

The rules of a 1x1 callsign, cut and pasted verbatim from the ARRL web page:

While the 1x1 Call Sign system in not intended for the exclusive ability
to have a short call sign during an upcoming amateur radio operating
event or contest, should such an operating event or contest timeframe
fall within the same timeframe of an event which has been coordinated
with a purpose as outlined above, the special event 1x1 call sign can
certainly be used for any Amateur Radio operating purpose during the
coordinated time period.

As one who applied for W6V, and is a member of the offending group that
Jerry mentions, I can say that I was on the air today, working stations
on 10, 15 and 20 CW for the Veteran's Day event.  I note others
throughout the country that also have 1x1 calls that "happen" to fall
during a contest.  I thought it would be fun to give out during the
contest.  I suspect that I will get lotsa requests for fills, and it may
be more of a disadvantage, but it will be different.

As for "unfair advantage" in the contest, all I can say is, Jerry, you
have several days left to apply for a 1x1 call.  I got mine through the
ARRL, the same organization that sponsors the Sweepstakes (!).  And, I
can recall, for years, many other contest groups sponsoring awards or
diplomas for working them in contests.  PJ1B used to offer a "mini gouda"
cheese for working them on multiple bands;  gee, I never heard people
complain about them.  And, when OH2BH was at CT3BZ many years ago, he
offered a bottle of Madeira wine to people who worked them on five
bands; I did (and, by the way, never got the bottle of wine, I hope
Martti makes good on that promise some day).

Anyway, why don't people complain about ON4UN's calls?  About all the odd
LU calls in contests?  All I can say is, I am looking forward to
OPERATING in the contest this weekend rather than moaning and groaning
about things on the internet...We have asked for this very thing for
years, this freedom, now that we have it people say it is "unfair".

73, Jim  N6IG

PS:  Most, if not all, the stations that will have the 1x1 calls will be
multi-op, Jerry, so don't give up the ship!

 -
 ---