[CQ-Contest] Weak signal techniques on SSB

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Weak signal techniques on SSB
From: pbarkey@gw.bsu.edu (Patrick Barkey)
Date: Fri Oct 31 09:27:11 1997
Some observations on SSB operating technique while running 20 meters
from K3LR last weekend.

Scenario -- Run station is trying to confirm or simply copy the call sign
of a weak station calling in.

Situation #1

RUN:  "QRZed?"

CALLER:  (speaking very slowly)   "D-e-l-t-a  K-e-e-e-e-l-o E-i-g-h-t"

         CRASH!  BOOM!

RUN:  "Who's the Delta Kilo Eight station?"

Lesson:  Even if you're a low power station, speak rapidly.  You only
have so many "windows of opportunity" to get through the QRM/QSB.  If
you are speaking at a normal cadence, you can get your whole call in.  If
you stretch it out, it will be one or two agonizing letters at a time.

Situation #2

RUN:  "Whats your call again"

CALLER:  "Delta Delta Delta.  Kilo Kilo Kilo.  Eight Eight Eight ... "

RUN:  "OK, I have Delta delta.  Whats your prefix?"

Lesson:  Never repeat letters individually (with one exception in the next
situation).  It confuses the listener.  Repeat your entire call, as
necessary.

Situation #3

RUN:  "I have Delta Kilo Eight X-ray.  What is the last letter?"

CALLER:  "Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Zulu"

RUN:  "Is that Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Delta?  Please again."

Lesson:  You will get better results if you pay attention to exactly what
fills the run station needs.  If they just need the suffix, repeat the suffix
(e.g., "X-Ray Zulu", or perhaps simply "Zulu").  If they are missing just
one letter, repeat it several times, using different phonetics (e.g., "Zulu,
Zanzibar, Zeeebra").

Situation #4

RUN:  "OK, I have Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Zulu.  Is that correct?"

CALLER:  "Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Zulu.  Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Zulu.  Five
Nine Fourteen."

RUN:  "Delta Kilo Eight X-Ray Question mark?  What is the last letter?"

Lesson:  Repeating your call when the run station already has it correct
will confuse him.  If he's got your call OK, then say something to break
the rythm.  Usually a short transmission, saying "Roger roger" or "QSL"
with the exchange will do this very nicely.

There many hams everywhere who do a brilliant job at this -- it makes
contesting a real joy.  There's a great feeling of satisfaction in making a
QSO when one or both stations are weak.  I hope we can somehow get
the word out to others whose operating techniques fall a bit short to pick
up on these and other techniques that will help them fill up their log
books.

   -- Pat
      N9RV