[CQ-Contest] Filtering

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Filtering
From: wo4o@juno.com (Ric Painter)
Date: Thu Sep 18 13:43:17 1997
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:33:35 -0500 Steve Daniel/NN4T writes:

>What is the wisdom of the group regarding filters used in CW
>contesting?

Hello my TCG brother Steve,

Having CONTESTed for only a few years, I haven't had much
experience with this but what little I have, I'll share. . .

>If, for the purpose of discussion, "standard" filtering is
>assumed to be first and second i.f. 500hz filters, who out
>there finds this to be inadequate and who finds it too
>restrictive, and why?

I prefer narrow filtering for S&Ping to reduce fatigue from
forcing my head to do the filtering;  but, too narrow is too
restrictive for CQing because I miss calls from off the sides.
For my Kenwood TS-450S/AT I installed two optional filters,
using both the (Kenwood YK-88C-1) 500 Hz CW Filter for 8.83 MHz
IF and the (Kenwood YK-88SN-1)  1.8 kHz SSB Filter for 8.83 MHz
IF and have been very pleased with how these cascade and perform.
I use various combinations, given the circumstances.

When CQing I usually keep it wide, selecting the optional
1.8 kHz SSB Filter for 8.83 MHz IF and cascading it with the
factory filter (2.4 kHz?) for 455 kHz IF.  (In other words,
for us Appliance Operators, both 2.4 kHz lights are ON.)

When S&Ping I usually keep it narrow, selecting the optional
500 Hz CW Filter for 8.83 MHz IF and cascading it with the
factory filter (500 Hz) for 455 kHz IF.  (Both 500 Hz lights
are ON.)

>Do you find yourself changing the filter combinations throughout
>the contest to match band conditions of QRM/QRN...

Usually, yes.  In addition, I tamper with the Notch, AGC, NB,
ATT, AF/RF levels, CW Reverse, RIT, IF Shift. . . you name it.

>or do most simply find a combination that suits most
>situations and go with that?

For me, usually, no.  The dynamics call for ever-changing
adaptation given your perception of conditions and the resources
at your disposal.  Mine are limited but I strive for the highest
and best use.  I continue to learn from others with more
experience and, therefore, any constructive criticism is welcome.

You must be doing something right, Steve.  Your results have been
very FB and the track record speaks for itself; and, now you may
mess things up for the rest of us and make more improvements?!

Go for it!

73 Ric Wo4o  (Go Tennessee Oilers, er. . . TN Contest Group!)