[CQ-Contest] Es polarization

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Es polarization
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Wed Jul 30 12:41:29 1997
A couple evenings ago, several of us locals were ragchewing
on 10 meters. After a while, some sporadic-E stations broke
in. Three of these stations were using verticals, and their
signals were definitely arriving here vertically polarized.
The local guys using verticals could hear the Es stations
perfectly, and there was not a whisper of their signal on
horizontally polarized yagis. I could not hear these stations
on my six element tribander, but they were easy copy on my
80 meter half sloper. The opening went on for about a
half hour, and the Es stations were inaudible on the yagi
throughout this period.

I always thought that skywave signals got randomly rotated in
polarization. Is sporadic E a special case, where the
polarization tends to stay unrotated?

With all of the verticals on 10 meter SSB, this may be a
good reason to install a 10m vertical for the upcoming NAQP
SSB CONTEST?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com