[CQ-Contest] cut numbers - another support

Subject: [CQ-Contest] cut numbers - another support
From: N6NT@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Fri May 30 15:58:22 1997
At 09:34 AM 5/30/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Here's one maybe someone could explain.  When I was CQing at 32wpm someone
>called me at 50+wpm.  I top out at about 45wpm so naturally asked them to
>QRS.  Result.... another call at 50+wpm.  Thinking that they didn't
>understand the internationally recognised Q-code I then sent QRS SLOW DOWN
>in plain English.  Result...

Hello Andrew!  It's nice to hear you on again!

This same thing happens to me from time to time.  What I think is happening
is that your caller actually maxes out at 10 wpm, or something like that, so
your 32 wpm sounds lightening-fast to him.  In his pea-sized brain, it is a
personal affront and an insult that you are sending at such a fast speed
that he cannot copy it, so he is determined to reciprocate and insult you by
sending at a speed you can't copy.  He has recorded his call on an
electronic keyer at a speed he can actually send, then cranked up the speed
to something absurd when he sends it to you.  The only thing to do when you
get somebody playing this game on you is just to ignore them.

Another equally annoying game is the jammer who pretends to be a newcomer
and prey on your sympathies.  I had one caller during a contest who sent at
about 7 wpm and would almost get his call out OK, then make a mistake and
have to send it over again...and over and over.  The guy was good at this
game of stringing me along.  He had to send a serial number in the exchange,
and he kept sending the character dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dit.  I would ask him
if that was a "9" or a "0", and he would send it over again--with the same
mistake embedded in it.  This must have gone on for several minutes, with me
thinking at each iteration that I was just about to get a valid QSO from a
newcomer.  Finally I heard several "!" characters from somebody else while
this guy was playing me for a sucker and eventually blew off the putative
rookie.  It turned out that KR0Y (aka N5TJ) had been listening in the whole
time, probably laughing his head off at my naivete.  Jeff did chide me for
spending so much time with the jerk, and I haven't forgotten the lesson since.

Bruce, N6NT