[CQ-Contest] 6M and contests--a different view

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 6M and contests--a different view
From: Nd3f@aol.com (Nd3f@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 3 09:48:08 1997
I realize disagreeing w/N4UK may make me
flame bait, but:

1) I polled some younger/newer hams and budding
contesters in our area (Balt/DC)--guess what--they're
generally FOR anything that promotes activity, contesting,
opportunities to learn!  However, in general, new hams don't
consider the nuances that have appeared as pro-con (mostly con)
arguments on the various contest-related reflectors.

2) In several contests, we already get incentives/bonuses
for seeking out and working novices/technicians,etc.  Perhaps
if we think of 6M as another potential novice/technician hangout,
then we've given new hams/new contesters a place and a reason
to get on:  to work each other.  I'd go to 6M if the rate was high
enough.

3) If you're worried about interference, fix
your station, solve the problem some other way, or don't get
on 6--just like any other band.  The same arguments apply here
as to other HF or HF-like bands!--if someone is angry over
contest overuse of a band, recognize that contest use is only a
few hours a year...

4) I've read the other posted arguments--and can relate to
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and even, "if we change the rules,
all the old records go out the window".  But if a change were
to be made recognizing future trends in radio capabilities,
the overall amateur operator population, etc. , I could see how
judicious adding of 6M as a contest band could be a net positive.
So add my vote as a "for"--at least for contests where enhancing
novice/tech/new contester activity is a goal.

5) If you do FD ( I know, it's not a contest ), many groups have
found the "free" addition of a VHF station to be useful and fun.
I get a blast out of running all bands with a club station on FD--
not just 160 or 80 through 10, but 160M through 1296 MHz or
whatever the rules allow...Same goes for some state QSO parties.
So the trend towards adding VHF has perhaps already started.

5) Flame suit on, and my delete key works, of course!

73
Brian ND3F@aol.com