No subject

Subject: No subject
From: jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com (jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 3 10:49:33 1996
>From jcrovell Tue Dec 03 11:40 EST 1996 remote from 580howard
>From: "John Crovelli" <jcrovell@580howard>
To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@tgv.com>, "WYLIE" <WYLIE@colloquium.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Contesting and the Internet
Date: Tue Dec  3 11:40    0

GM4FDM said  << " Contesting has now become a contest
not of skill in operating, but a contest as to who can pour the greatest
amount of money into a station.   Who has the greatest amount of bucks can
win!   Skill comes a long way second.   Gee, if you cannot operate from your
own backyard, just go down to the Carribean...  It is a well known fact that
there are only about half a dozen locations in the World where you can win
CQWW? ">>
Further you say <<"Why spend money in going to Aruba, when you could pretend
you are there and operate an Aruba station from your own home.">>

Well Tom, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But I could not disagree
with you more.

At the heart of Radiosporting is OPERATOR SKILL.  Proficiency in this sport
is developed over time....it comes more quickly for some than others.  I
personnally have spent the past 37 years developing my abilities and still
find lots of room for improvement.  Skill is not just how fast you
send/speak, how accurately you copy and log, but also includes a  great
wealth of knowledge about propagation, callsigns, band selection, station
construction and maintenance, and a host of other items that in some large
or small way contibute to the final score.  You don't learn this stuff
overnight!  And given the dynamic nature of radiowaves, what knowledge you
apply at any given point in time must change to meet current operating
conditions.  Now, does this sound simple?  Do you really think that just
anyone who happens to have lots of money can be a winner?  I think NOT.

For some of us, radiosporting is our primary focus in Amateur Radio.  We
devote a significant amount of our time to planning/preparing for the next
contest, whether it be CQWW, ARRL DX, Sweepstakes, WPX, IARU, Field Day,
whatever.   There are so many variables, so many ideas, so many options, it
is difficult to find the ideal solution.  I'll use CQWW as an example.  If
you really want to be a competitive on a world-wide scale  in this event,
and make the top 5, it is no secret you really have two choices, you operate
from northern Africa or northern South America.  Being the optimum distance
from Europe and North America is essential for rate and mults on multiple
bands.  So then its a matter of finding or building a station in one of
these areas.  Like any project undertaken thousands of miles from home, this
is a real challenge.  Local contacts must be established, equipment procured
and shipped, licenses obtained, and so forth.

Does this take a lot of money?  It can, but it with a little effort it can
be done at quite reasonable cost.  For instance, my station on Aruba.  It is
essential you establish local contacts and I have been very fortunate to
have had a succession of accomodating locals over the past 11 years on
Aruba.  The tower and rotor were obtained for FREE, in exchange for removal
from another ham's yard in PA.  The only expense was for some paint and
ocean freight shipping (about $400).  The antennas were purchased new, a
reasonable expense, and then shipped airfreight (a luxury expense for the
sake of undamaged delivery at $150).  Site preparation (concrete base and 8
foot tall concrete guy posts) cost $200.  Erection of tower and antennas,
Zero $$ (thanks to CT1BOH and my Aruban host Humphrey  for their help).
 Station equipment (TS930, Alpha 87A) are brought to the island for each
event.  The xcvr, laptop computer, and the power xformer from the amplifier
are handcarried (try it sometime, it is great fun putting all this stuff
thru airport xray machines and climbing aircraft onramps - does wonders for
the lower back).  Coax was purchased new and carried down in luggage.
 Preamp, antenna switches, interconnect cables, etc. are obtained at
hamfests for pennies on the dollar.  Estimate of total station cost with
antennas (monobanders 40-10):  about $1,750. Divide this amount by 2,  since
I share the cost and operating from this QTH with K4UEE/P40R  and you have
$875 invested.  When you spread this capital outlay over many years it is
truely  insignificant.  Extravagent, hardly, but effective, definitely.

Station design is the product of years of experience!  It is the application
of  knowledge and expertise, especially in tropic environments where damage
from salt air and winds are prevalent.  Antenna system design is limited by
what you have to work with.  How to optimize, being as loud as you can given
the existing circomstances is really the issue.  Another freebee but very
thought prevoking and time consuming.  But time is free, right?

OK, lets look at other costs.  Airline tickets - prices have remained pretty
stable over the years at about $390 round trip.  LIving expenses, $30 to
$100 per nite depending on your tastes.  No different than a vacation
anywhere else.  Or don't you go on vacations?

Contest operation.  The operator who makes the most contacts in the most
zones and the most countries on the most bands wins.  The SKILL is to chose
the right band at the right time to maximize rate and mults.  Being loud is
important but means very little if you don't properly position your signal
on the spectrum. Trying to do this over a 48 hour window with propagation
conditions always changing and you see it  is an extremely complex problem
and probably in the final result is a matter of some luck.   These elements
are totally operator dependent and have nothing to do with the amount of
money in your pocket.  Knowing where to be when, whether call CQ or search
for hunt mults, moving stations band to band, etc.  is the product of
experience which cannot be purchased at any price.

Tom, bottom line, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, and
some of us are quite offended at your comments.  I hope by now you might be
considering an alternative view of this sport and what it takes to be
successful.

73,

John,  W2GD/P40W