contest calls

Subject: contest calls
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 1 20:10:22 1996
Ways back when I was young WA1 and all-ears to contesting's glamour and
strategy - including the single sideband stuff, there were two competitive
stations in our club who had very similar callsigns.

They had to agree as to the phonetics the would use in contests so that when
both were in the same pileup they would know who the DX station had came back
to.

The memory has started to fail me, but I know these guys still are out and
about with way different callsigns these days...I believe both of them
frequent this reflector however.

I think the agreed pact was that they were:

WA1KID (Kilowatt INDIA DELTA)

WA1PID (Portugal ITALY DELAWARE)

Perhaps I have them switched around/or mixed up - but it was a necessity for
these two on several weekends a year!

JIm, zx

k1zx@contesting.com