Motors for towers

Subject: Motors for towers
From: David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
:
>> am looking for a motor ro raise and lower my Hygain HG70HD.
>>So far, I believe a 2000 lb Hoist by WARN,  12V motor to be the best
>>option.  Full list price is $872. The other option is the US Towrs MD75,
>list price $889.75. A third option, which appears to be marginal is a 1000 lb
>hoist by WARN priced at $550.

The US Tower unit replaces the hand crank and is the only inexpensive
option.  Don't try to plug in an untested product.   Check with US Tower
(they will talk with you on the phone) to find which one they recommend with
the  HG70HD.  I suspect it is the same as the TX-471.

> I am currently using the factory supplied 2500lb hand winch and need to be
>able to drop the tower for thunderstorms here in TX and hate to spend 40 mins
>cranking it up each time.

A few years ago a W2 ham sold a product called the TOWTEC motor drive
assembly.  Sold for about $200.  Problem was they used a very small motor
and a very high ratio gear.  Worked Ok but took over 30 minutes to bring a
tower down and 55 minutes to raise it back.  The owner sold the product  to
the people who had the "hazer."  Don't know whether this went to Glen Martin
Engineering with the "hazer"  later or not.

Lou Tristao( the father of the US Tower design)  told me that the most
practical approach is to buy a tower already fitted with a complete motor
driven system.  Tri-Ex and US Tower models have very elaborate systems
beyond the basic tower.   This is not an area to scrimp!

Dave K4JRB