crankup caution

Subject: crankup caution
From: Charles H. Harpole" <harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Hello all, I have HD-70 HyGain crank up. and have installed it at two
locations.  NEVER, simply never, climb an extended crank-up!  Own one,
just climb it only when fully down and "pinned" with a two-by-six for
good measure thru the rungs.  If you live in a gusty wind area, purchase
the positive pull down type (not HyGain!) which will make sure the
cranking down always happens.  With my HyGain, I have to anticipate the
wind and thunderstorms (try that!) to crank it down prior to side
pressure winds.  It will not crank down with some amount of side winds,
but the cranking cables WILL become loose if you keep cranking, then real
trouble awaits you when the wind lets up for a moment and the tower then
slides down to take up the slack you have created.  TWANG is not the only
sound you will hear.  73, Charlie K4VUD