Surge suppressors for balanced feeders?

Subject: Surge suppressors for balanced feeders?
From: Pete Soper <psoper@encore.com> (Pete Soper)
Hi Folks,

   I'm finally moving the station from a second floor room, have
built a ground window in the new location and have a pretty clear
idea of handling everything except balanced feeders. Polyphaser
doesn't appear to have anything suitable. I wonder if ICE makes a
suppressor for ladder line, or if some of you have found another
effective suppressor scheme?
   Apart from switching the feeders to ground when not in use,
which I of course intend to do, do I have any options to provide
some protection from a surprise strike? Can dual electrode gas tubes
be connected in such a way that the balanced feed isn't screwed up?
I'm worried that the voltages on these lines from RF with
relatively high SWR will trigger most of the gas tubes I've found,
and the effect on impedance and balance is a black mystery to this
RF-novice.

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG