Beverages under snow, verticals amongst trees, etc.

Subject: Beverages under snow, verticals amongst trees, etc.
From: WmHein@aol.com (WmHein@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 12:04:04 1994
I have been reading the new ON4UN "Low Band DXing" book.  An outstanding
work, the book has got me rebuilding some of my low band antennas.  But
before I get too far...

(1)  "Low Band DXing" suggests that Beverage antennas installed low to the
ground (1 to 3 feet) have superior patterns to Beverage antennas installed at
the "usual" heights, 10 to 15 feet.  Question:  will such antennas still work
properly if they are covered by a couple feet of snow?

(2)  How much will the performance of a Beverage antenna installed in a
forest suffer vis-a-vis an equivalent antenna installed in an open field?

(3)  And speaking of trees, will the performance of HF verticals surrounded
by heavy foliage suffer vis-a-vis similar antennas in open fields?

(4)  Due to poor Rocky Mountain ground, I have been experimenting with
terminating Beverage antennas (installed 10 to 15 feet above ground) with a
single 160m quarter wave radial (installed at the same height and in the same
direction as the main Beverage wire).  I installed a temporary potentiometer
at the termination point and have been adjusting for best F/B pattern.
 Surprisingly, the best F/B reading (about 3 and 1/2 S units better than no
termination) is realized at over 900 ohms.  Does this sound right?  Am I
doing something wrong?

Please send comments direct to wmhein@aol.com.  I will summarize and post
comments on this reflector.

Bill AA6TT