Verticals, Radials, Grounds, Lightning

Subject: Verticals, Radials, Grounds, Lightning
From: RKILE@delphi.com (RKILE@delphi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 00:04:17 1994
    While the emphasis has been on BIG low band antennas, there are
residential alternatives yet discussed.  I have found it quite possible to
build good performing verticals for 160 at heights less than 65 ft 1/8
wavelenght. These have been simple systems that involve heavy top loading
by using existing tri-bander and additional wire to resonate the antenna
well into the broadcast band equivalent to 3/8 wave antenna and shunt fed.
These antennas had modest ground systems to say the least, often just a
dozen or so short radials. (Poor ground conductivity)

    You poor folks who live in the South absolutely have to plan for
lightning. N4ZR quotes "Pay the piper now or later". It might also be said
if the ground surge doesn't get you induced voltages will. The Polyphaser
Book on the subject is quite comprehensive on the subject of lightning and
grounds. It should be noted that the topic of perimeter grounds on buildings
and towers refers to dc lightning protection and not RF grounding although
they tend to intermingle.
    In the least I would highly suggest perimeter grounding and specifically
the dropping of all cables to ground level. Tie shields to ground at the
base of the towers with mov protectors on rotor cables at the tower base and
grounding rotor cables to tower base when not in use. I would stay away from
antennas and or towers attached to the building. Whole house protectors at
the service panel with in line cordset protectors for the most sensitive
equipment.
    While living in Seattle with a 100 ft back yard tower lightning struck a
utility transformer about 300 ft away. I suffered no ills although the
houses connected to that drop had their entire panels and household wiring
vaporized. I was using "modest protection".

Bob, KG7D
Las Vegas
via internet"rkile@delphi.com"