Coaxial Stubs

Subject: Coaxial Stubs
From: Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM (Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 23 18:28:36 1993
Hello!

I have been preparing coaxial stubs for an overseas M/S contest operation, and
at first it seemed like I was going to have to change the stubs manually when I
changed bands (I'm trying to keep costs down). Then I read N6BV's book, "All
the Right Angles" which gave me an idea:

Can you use a coaxial switch to change between stubs?

For the coaxial stubs that are not in use and are connected to the switch,  do
they effect the SWR and impeadance of the antenna transmission line?  I put a
few stubs on my 6 position grounding coaxial switch, and hooked it up to the
network analyzer.  The shape of the rejection notches remained the same, though
the notch frequency was lowered by up to a couple hundred kHZ.  I am not sure
if the lower resonant point is due to the grounded coax cable which is hanging
off the active stub, or due to the extra length found in the coaxial switch
itself.  I tried removing one of the stubs and didn't notice any change in
resonant point so I suspect the lowered frequency is due to the switch.  My gut
tells me that the grounded hanging coaxial stubs have to have some effect which
I haven't detected yet.

The one disadvantage I see is how to connect 2 stubs required for a particular
band, unless I insert another coaxial switch down line for the parallel stubs
required that particular band.

I suppose an altenative way would to use relays and remove the stubs completely
from the line/circuit, but that project will take a bit more work than just
hooking them up to a coax switch I had laying around!

Any thoughts on this situation?    Many thanks for your help on previous
bandpass filter designs and HF packet issues!   You have been a great source of
knowledge and assistance!

Regards,

Ken, WM2C