Pre-CT

Subject: Pre-CT
From: 0005582789@mcimail.com (Robert J Halprin)
Date: Tue Jun 1 23:19:00 1993

De K1XA:

Re "Computers and Contests" sidebar,

    ARRL Operating Manual

Just for the record, the Op Man

sidebar in question was originally written

in 1986/87, for the then-1987 edition,

*not* the 1990 edition.

I think it's fair to say that all concerned were

aware that the contest sidebar material was out

of date in 1990. As editor (and/or former editor),

I certainly was--as was K1JX and other

persons directly involved with the project.

I left the HQ staff in 1988 (although I did continue

involvement with the Op Man to a certain extent

after that). But if I recall correctly (and its been

awhile!), the League made a business decision not to

revise that section and certain other portions of the

book until they implemented and produced a full-blown

revision under a new, in-house editor,

which as NJ2L noted, occurred in 1991.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Tnx/73.