penalty

Subject: penalty
From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills)
Date: Thu Dec 3 13:31:13 1992
Eric K3NA asks:

           If you work someone who insists on signing their call "WZ3ABC/QRP"
        and you write only "WZ3ABC" in the log, will the log checkers consider
        that a busted call?

Surely not.  The local that I mentioned would send his call once, then send
it again with /QRP appended, he could have been picked up either way. I taped
some of HC8N's operating, and there is one point where a station signing
/QRP several times is ignored in favor of others with shorter calls, finally
calls without the /QRP appended and is worked immediately.  It could just be
coincidence of course.   There are other sad things on the tape - someone
with a long call sending it slowly, and by the time the last dit is sent,
HC8N has already come back to someone else and sent them 59910.   The poor
person with the long call hears nothing but silence each time he or she
finishes sending the call.   Moral: if you want to work the serious people,
keep your calls short.  If your callsign is a long one, send it fast, send
it once, and don't embellish it in any meaningless way.

          I would hope not, since the /QRP is not a legally-required part of
          the callsign in any country that I am aware of....

Yes, I think that is exactly the point.

Derek aa5bt