Antennaware

[Antennaware] Homebrew 9:1 & 16:1 Baluns HELP

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Homebrew 9:1 & 16:1 Baluns HELP
From: Mike Ashby <seabassm01@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:39:35 -0600
Hello out there!  I need your help with the design of 2 baluns.  I have read
and searched and dug up everything I can find on baluns and I am struggling
with the understanding of how I physically get from the schematic diagram
design to the build of the actual unit.  I can not get my head around
converting the diagram into a actual core with coil windings.  Things just
don't jive. Example:  In 21st Edition of ARRL Antenna Handbook, p. 26-16, Fig.
22 Shows a schematic for a "Four winding, broadband, variable impedance
transformer."  I think I understand the drawing but I am sure I am missing
something.  I know I do not understand the numbering of points in Fig. 22.
Fig. 23 Shows a picture of the same thing actually built and then states:
"There are 10 quadrifilar turns of #14 enameled wire on a Q1, 2.5" OD ferrite
core."  I think I understand the words in the statement, BUT I can not get a
"10 turn winding" from the Fig.22 diagram.  I just can't see how you get fron
Fig. 2
 2 to Fig. 23.  All I want to do is build 1 each 9:1 (50 to 450 ohm balun) and
1 each 16:1 (50 to 800 ohm balun).  Any coaches out there?  Need your help.

Thanks very much

Mike                       seabassm01@hotmail.com