Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] Tribanders on 12m/17m

To: "John Geiger" <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Tribanders on 12m/17m
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:12:15 -0500
I've owned a Hy-Gain Explorer 14 and now have a Cushcraft X-9. Both worked
on 12M; the EX-14 even had some F/B. Only used them a few times to work
DXpeditions when another antenna was not available.

Neither worked on 17M. I'm sure the beta match on the EX-14 looked like a
short circuit across the high impedance of the off-resonance d.e. The X-9
with it's log cell loaded up OK on 17M, but was quite deaf, so I suspect the
radiation pattern was very high angle.

Gary
K9AY