Re: [Amps] Interested in re-purposing a Dentron Clipperton-V - question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Interested in re-purposing a Dentron Clipperton-V - question about possible power power transformer ICAS KVA (Steve Harrison)
From: wb0gaz via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 01:43:59 +0000 (UTC)
 Thanks, Steve - yes, inter-city distances are large in this part of the
country (after a few years in so cal long ago!)

My posting was mostly to assess merits of re-purposing the thing, just because
it's a nice cabinet and I had hopes for the power supply just eyeballing the
transformer.

I've put the covers back on and it's restored to it's "hangar queen" status at
this point. If you find yourself on I-70 westward (I don't know your home QTH)
drop me a line! As far as I can tell, barring power transformer failure (no
signs of that), it's probably a decent candidate for returning to service.

As far as 2M PA design using lumped plate tank at similar power levels, YU1AW
published a couple of designs (see https://www.nd2x.com/yu1aw-2m-easy.html).
The subtitle of the page is "144MHz PAs designed using HF techniques". I'm not
aware of anyone that's reproduced the designs (for a single or dual GI7 tube)
so I don't know if they were considered successful.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who commented on reflector or by e-mail, taken
together I've decided to let sleeping amplifier lie...

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz@yahoo.com

###

I would leave that Clipperton V alone, and preserve what's left of it.
It's a pretty rare bird these days. If I didn't live so far from you
(only 800 miles or so), I'd buy it from you just to restore it, as
poorly as it may have operated when new.

Back in the olden days around WWII-vintage or so, iron transformer
windows were generally considered good for roughly 100 VA CCS per square
inch of window area. My dad had a Xerox copy of a NBS circular
describing transformer design; I still have my copy somewhere. Through
the years, I've found that to still be a reasonable way to guess at an
unknown transformer's possible capability, based upon transformer iron
formulations of that time period. Remember: that's CCS, not ICAS.

I've run Heathkit HP24 power supplies at 600W CW output over weekend
contests, keeping the transformer cool simply by placing a small muffin
fan over the top of the cage. Otherwise, they run hot enough during a
contest that you can't touch them.

Steve, K0XP

See my QRZ.com page at *https://www.qrz.com/db/K0XP*