Re: [Amps] Starting up a NEW Henry amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Starting up a NEW Henry amp
From: Alek Petkovic via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 14:42:03 +0800
No. I'm talking about amps like an AL-80B, in which I had to fit a new OEM input board, a couple of TL-922s and a FL-2100B, which had previously received the golden screwdriver treatment by persons unknown.

In all cases, using the Nano VNA did not give the desired result.

The TL-922 service manual specifically tells you to do the tuning with a good amount of drive applied.

However, in my home brew GS35B 6m amp and my Drake L75 6m conversion, when I substituted a resistor in place of the tube, I was able to get very compfortably close with the input tuning using the VNA.

John, VK6JX, also used the VNA on his home brew GS35B 2m amp and it worked quite well. In all of those cases, the input was tweaked with full drive power to reach the final setting.

Cheers, Alek.