Re: [Amps] Starting up a NEW Henry amp

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Starting up a NEW Henry amp
From: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@cattron.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 01:20:44 +0000
...new updates on the Henry 3K Ultra amps as of 12/3/2023

The Henry 3K Ultra head SN 65-171 and its mate RF console 65-171 are working
well now.  I re-tapped the HV transformer and the Filament transformer to get
the voltages down in the range that Eimac and Henry call for on the 3CX1200D7
tubes. Im seeing approx. 4800V SSB/3900V CW after having tapped the HV
transformer for 250VAC in.  The filament voltage is down to 6.3v on the money
after jumping two taps on that transformer.

I was also able to install a new Guardian T/R relay and that solved the signal
degradation issue I'd seen as well.

Lastly, a new 25K ohm resistor for the 28v AC MAINS light was replaced and a
new number 85 bulb was installed...and there was light!

A few 80w dits at 4800V SSB setting gets 2200w+ out

The RF console 65-104 is ready to undergo surgery when I get back into town
from a business trip.  I found several resistors in the PS section of the amp
that were bad.  Two (50 ohm and 75 ohm) were related to the step start circuit
and one 20K 100W resistor related to the HV resistor string.

I can send over the Henry drawings showing the components that failed if anyone
has interest.

One last issue I would like some comments on...I am seeing high SWR on my
transceiver when I transmit 1KW + with these Henry amps.  The display on the
transceiver will commonly hit 3:1 when driving either Henry amp.  When driving
my Alpha 77 amp I see 1.02:1 SWR on my transceiver at 1.5KW.  My antennas are
flat with 200W in.

By enabling the tuner in the rig I can knock down most of the SWR when running
the Henry's but I don't have to do that with my other amp. One difference...  I
do have a longer coax run (25') from the Henry's back to the PM II watt meter .
The Alpha has a three ft (3') jumper from the amp to the watt meter. I'm going
to shorten the coax from the Henry RF consoles to the coupler to 8' or so to
see if that lessens any of the RF coming back to the rig. I do have a W2FMI
line isolator in the line going to the amps with no visible changes. More parts
are coming like RFI kits for the amp and transceiver, a 1:1 unun for the output
of the amp and one for the base of the antenna.
Any other Suggestions?

Thanks

Carl W9LF