[Amps] 17 x pix of the 10 kw 6M amp...using the new Pentalab 3CX-6000A7

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 17 x pix of the 10 kw 6M amp...using the new Pentalab 3CX-6000A7 tube
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:53:03 -0600
Hi Jim

Good to see the 6m beast complete. I know it was fun.

I have found one source of commercial ribbon wound and tubing RF inductors to be 1-5 kW medium wave broadcast transmitters. Johnson/Multronics, Gates, Kintronics Labs, etc. Some stations in USA are ditching their vacuum tube rigs and switching over to silicon-based or going dark completely due to insufficient profit margin. They cannot find techs to keep the HV and tube rigs alive in some regions,  If you approach the station owner offering to haul away their rig, or buying parts from it before they haul it to the scrap yard, you will find some choice parts. I have acquired quite a small collection of 15-25 Amp inductors for big tuners and transmitter projects, and occasionally sell them back to some broadcasters in need for significant savings. Also some large meat-slicer air variables, the ones with wide spacing. Many broadcast rigs used fixed mica caps and made the inductors variable. There are far less with vacuum variables in them. Since 1.7 MHz is below our amateur allocations, the inductors tend to be too large, but can be modified, tapped or cut down, with soldering skills.

73

John

K5PRO