Re: [Amps] Tiny SA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tiny SA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:06:20 -0700
On 4/26/2023 9:26 AM, jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net wrote:
Have any of you folks used the tiny SA  (spectrum analyzer) or any other
version of it ?   It goes down to -100db.  Used with a suitable attenuator,
it would be a good tool to look at the harmonic content of an amp.  And
also IMD on a SSB signal, 2 x tone tests etc.   Reasonably priced vs a
megabuck ....'real one'.

In the hands of someone who understands SDRs and knows how to properly exploit their dynamic range, they can be quite effective as spectrum analyzers. NR0V, the inventor of Pure Signal, was my neighbor for a while, and demonstrated capabilities of the lowest cost ANAN rig as a spectrum analyzer. I subsequently bought one. This RFI talk I did at Visalia in 2017 included three examples and different price points. Obviously, there are more options six years later.

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

The obvious need is for suitable couplers and attenuators to keep the receiver out of overload.

73, Jim K9YC