Re: [Amps] Triode Questions

To: Aleksandar Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Triode Questions
From: Jim Barber <barberaudio@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 21:12:03 -0700
Hi Alek,

I don’t have any comment about #1, not sure there’s any reason to prefer
one over the other.

#2 is a little different. If I understand correctly, the reason for the cap
is to equalize the RF at both ends of the heater so that the heater isn’t
“over-lit” by the heater current plus the drive signal. I read about that
trick in Bill Orr’s book. (In the context of a 8877) I can’t prove that
it’s actually worth doing, but it will only cost you a .01 uF cap.

FWIW, I’m using the cap AND a separate bias choke in my current 8877
restoration. So far it works fine, but If I’m wrong perhaps someone can
jump in here and help us both out.

73,
Jim N7CXI