[Amps] 10 KW CCS ON 6M...USING THE 3CX-6000A7... PART 16

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 10 KW CCS ON 6M...USING THE 3CX-6000A7... PART 16
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:18:28 -0700
Jim, you could subtract your meter lead resistance from each winding measurement, its even better. Also, notice that the value of R slowly dropped. This is because the secondary is resisting the step change flow of current, just like a capacitor resists a change in voltage. Be careful about having hand on each probe as there might be kick, the EMF from disconnecting that continuous current. It used to be much worse when using a Simpson 260 VOM. Don't ask me how I would know that.

That is an awfully heavy iron part to place on a sheet metal chassis bottom. It might help to add some flat stock across from end to end, like 2 inch wide aluminum bars. This spreads the load and prevents dimpling of the sheet metal. In commercial transmitters with even smaller transformers, we used 3/8 steel plate for the bottom and drilled holes, welded nuts on the bottom for bolting the iron in. This also had some I beams welded to it, so that a pallet jack or fork lift could move it. That would be overkill for yours.

73

John

K5PRO

Message: 1