[Amps] MKS brand 8877 test

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] MKS brand 8877 test
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:22:41 -0700
There was a production issue related to Eimac and the two MRI equipment makers who used the 8877. I attached some information here that I got from another friend who worked in the tube biz then:

ETO was at the forefront of the new MRI diagnostic equipment development and ETO chose to use a pair of 8877 tubes in parallel in their rf amplifier. Their customer was GE Medical. GE Med was having difficulties with the 8877 in their MRI amplifiers: after about 10 to 20 minutes of operation 8877 tubes would short internally between grid and cathode. The staff at Eimac in Salt Lake City had not been able to pinpoint a cause and tubes were being returned as meeting all electrical tests but the would again fail when in MRI systems. It turned out that a small part had been changed in the 8877, a thin cathode heat dam, it was made of nickel in the original design but had been changed to Kovar, a less costly alloy with a low coefficient of expansion but containing iron as one of its constituent metals so rf energy would cause heating and it would expand and touch the grid cap, shorting the grid to the cathode. 8877's returned for warranty tested good at the factory where they passed current division tests (not RF power). As a result many bad tubes were being sent back to customers without the defect being identified. Economic losses at ETO were considerable and ultimately a competitor Erbtec was awarded the rf amplifier contract by GE Medical using a new tube that Eimac developed, a bigger triode. That really send ETO a bad message.

MKS bought one of those companies, sorry I don't remember more. I assume they never used Eimac 8877s after that event. I have a friend who retired from MKS, Colorado Springs. They bought one of the abovementioned MRI machine makers. Eventually had equipment made in China so it was likely a Chinese source triode too. The MRI companies had stringent specs on the tubes when they ran them in parallel. This was something that Eimac in Salt Lake was having trouble making yield with a lot of rejects. Who knows where those tubes ended up too.

73

John Lyles

K5PRO

Message: 1