[Amps] WE tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] WE tubes
From: "Bob D." <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:24:20 -0400

> >     It's not the historical Western Electric. Like many other well-known
> >     brand names, the name and logo were sold.

There's a video of them assembling 300Bs.

Where the parts, grid wire, filament wire, glass glass globes, plate
material, micas, through glass transition, ... come from is not shown. I
seriously doubt any of these are produced in the USA. Assembly is not
automated. The video shows a single tube being gettered (induction coil).
There are two fixtures. If some other stage of manufacture is so slow as to
limit gettering to one tube at a time, one wonders if they are making a
profit at the price they charge.

Back in high school I worked at a TV picture tube remanufacturing plant..
We did not make the gun assemblies. Pins were already through the glass. We
just worked them onto the neck after etching the glass, applying new
phosphors, and re-aluminizing. My jobs included washing the tubes as they
entered the line, loading and unloading tubes for phosphor deposition,
assignment to the etching(hydrofluoric acid) area. Most employees did not
have work visas and would run to the warehouse and hide in shipping boxes
any time immigration showed up. Which was about once a month.

-bob ah7i