[Amps] Mounting recommendations for RF power amplifier semiconductors?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Mounting recommendations for RF power amplifier semiconductors?
From: Geert Jan de Groot <pe1hzg@ymbk.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:32:00 +0100
Hi,

I realize that many people consider an amplifier is not an amplifier if the active components don't have filaments, but please read on..

My question is about semiconductor amplifiers. Back in the Packet Radio days I learned that it was a good idea not to mount the connection wires of a RF power module straight to the PCB, but to make a small bend in it to allow materials to stretch out a bit as a result of temperature expansion.

MOSFET power transistors have these wide tabs to connect them to the PCB. My question: what is the wisdom of the list to also make a small bend in these tabs and do the same trick or is this considered not needed?

73,

Geert Jan PE1HZG