Re: [Amps] Swan Mark 1 on 160 meters

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Swan Mark 1 on 160 meters
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:51:52 -0400
Normally, toroids are self-shielding, which means they are hard to
couple into inductively. In a bandswitched amplifier, the inductive
loop coupling into the toroid is normally created by the wiring
between the toroid and the bandswitch wafers. Careful layout of the
bandswitch wiring can minimize this problem.

In my experience the more common problem is a high voltage flashover,
where the low 10m inductance couples into the higher inductance of the
160M coil, acting like a step/up transformer. I have not heard of the
160M toroid overheating because of this mechanism.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone