[Amps] Alpha 9500 won't turn on

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 9500 won't turn on
From: "Jerry Booth" <jerryjtb@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 11:50:41 -0400
Hello fellow amp aficionados. I apologize if this has been answered in
earlier posts. I was not successful when trying to searching the archives.

Has anyone here on the group experienced the following failure mode? I?m
looking for some guidance on what and where I should be looking to resolve
my problem. Here is the rundown. After two sequential 20-amp fuse faults at
turn on I decided to remove the top of my 9500 amplifier and do a visual
inspection. Upon inspection I discovered R27 step start resistor on the
X420-PCB to be heat distorted. The resistor measured open circuit on my
Fluke VOM so I replaced R27 then replaced the blown 20-amp fuse and
attempted to restart the amp. The amp turned on OK after depressing the
amplifier On-Off switch (LEDs and digital displays turned on). When I
depress the Amp On Switch the heater countdown timer starts and the high
voltage bar graph displays normal high voltage and all other indications are
normal. When leaving go of the Amp On Switch the high voltage bar graph
drops to zero and the countdown timer resets to zeros. Depressing the amp on
switch again repeats the cycle, HV comes on and the timer starts. Letting go
of the Amp On Switch again returns the timer and HV back to zero. The amp
was purchased new in 2014 and I purchased the amp from the original owner
about two years ago. This is the first blown 20-amp fuse problem I?ve
encountered. It would appear that the amp is missing a signal that is
required to hold the power on after the Amp On switch is depressed.

Thanks,

Jerry WØZD/3