[Amps] Kilovac relay in MFJ 2020 catalog

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Kilovac relay in MFJ 2020 catalog
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 07:50:56 -0800
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 09:28:37 -0600
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Kilovac relay in MFJ 2020 catalog

<Depends on how fast the relay is. Just because its vacuum, doesn't mean
<its fast!

<I use solid state relays for cathode switching now days. Works great.

<73
<Jim W7RY

##  an  opto isolator  works,  along  with  its 4  kv  isolation.  Problem  is,
 I  typ
use  60-120  vdc  OCV  for  the  sped  up  26.5  vdc  vac TR relays....  +  drop
resistor..+  small  cap  across  drop  resistor.   Kilovac  told  me  years
ago,  that
if  voltage  limited,,  like  only  24 –27 vdc  available,  use vac  relays
with 12 vdc  coils.

##  Buddy  and  I  managed   to  speed  up a gigavac G2.....same  as a jennings
RJ2B.
Rated  for  15 msecs   operate...and  9  msecs  release.   Sped  up,  with  80
vdc
and a .5uf  cap  across   drop  resistor,   they  become   2.5 msecs
operate..and  rls.
2nd  G2  was  2.7  msecs  operate  and  rls.   26.5 vdc  rated coils.

##  Both  G2s  were  individually tested on  bench.  Then  installed  in  GG
triode  amp,
on  output  side,  with  all  contacts in  parallel.   Fast  enough  for  QSK,
and  good  for
20A  CCS  at  32 mhz.

## Ameritron  sez their  kilovac relay can be used  in  QSK.   Dunno  how u can
 do  that
with a DPST relay.  Normally a DPDT  is  used...  or a SPDT  on   both input +
output.

##  I  might  buy one....just  to  test on  the  bench....since  they  are
cheap.

Jim  VE7RF