Re: [Amps] 3CX3000A7 on 144 MHz

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX3000A7 on 144 MHz
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 16:54:10 -0700
I agree with your analysis and suggestions, Jim. One might mention that the
switcher needs to have a floating 7.5V output, so it doesn't provide a ground
reference for the filaments. Then the series resistors across the filaments
with the B- coming from the center tap between the resistors makes a good
solution.

An alternate plan is just to take the B- off the switcher's negative output.
This would result in an extra positive bias on the grids from the hookup,
reducing the resting plate current a bit, so that it will have to be
compensated for by reducing the bias supply voltage to restore the resting
current.. This scheme still results in a bias gradient across the filament
which will in theory vary the plate current profile across the filament, but my
guess is that it wouldn't make much performance difference and probably
wouldn't be noticed by the user.
73,
Jim W8ZR