Re: [Amps] Coolant for liquid-cooled solid-state amp

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coolant for liquid-cooled solid-state amp
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 16:37:24 -0400
  Bob N3XKB wrote:

Plain ol' distilled water will remove heat a lot better than diluting it
with glycol, however the chemistry may dictate using it.  De ionized water
is much more corrosive than distilled even if it starts life as a very poor
conductor, but will quickly leech metal ions into the solution (although
not much volume!) and will likely become more conductive faster than
starting with plain distilled, but it might be a photo finish as to which
needs to get replaced first.    Just an FYI, and I hope this has a slightly
beneficial SNR.  If not, I apologize for taking up the space.

  Bob is right, 10% polypropylene glycol and 90% steam distilled H2O is
about as good as it gets,* short if synthetic coolant fluid for over
$900 per gallon.  You don't need to go over 10% polypropylene glycol
unless your system is in danger of freezing, then as long as you don't
live in an iceberg 30% polypropylene glycol is all that you will ever
need.
 * For the best heat carrying properties and corrosion resistance.
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Understanding is much better than
                                       knowing how.