[Amps] Fwd: Re: Modern rig amplifier keying

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Re: Modern rig amplifier keying
From: Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 19:09:31 -0500
Someone ask what amp and rig. The amp is a Clipperton-L I converted to a pair of GI-7BT tubes. Relay is 12 volts and draws around 100 ma when the coil is energized.  I haven't decided on a rig, but was considering a TS-590SG. I see 10 milliamps is all the TS-590SG will switch. So, I decided to re-engineer a Harbach SK-401 I had left over after installing a ES4L4-B in my L-4B.  Around 15 volts was the minimum voltage the SK-401 would operate at, so I swapped R1 and R2, 22k 1/4 w resistors, with 18K 1/4 watt resistors and the circuit will now operate with 12 volts, possibly lower though I didn't try it. I measured .788 milliamps to trigger the SK-401, so I think it will be fine to use with the TS-590SG or possibly any other modern rig. The youngest rig I have is a Omni VI.

Thanks again for all of the replies.

73

Stan
KM4HQE