[Amps] Fwd: Re: SB-220 Bias Issue, Too High of Plate Voltage?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Re: SB-220 Bias Issue, Too High of Plate Voltage?
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 08:05:42 -0500

MOST of the Harbach stuff is safe, but costs at least twice what it should. Stay away from the Nichrome parasitic suppressors (too much L, that makes 'em run WAY hot on 28 MHz). Rebuild your using Globar (WAY expensive) or NOS carbon composition resistors. Ebay seller 'bigsmythe74' has 56/10%/2W for $1/each plus $4/order. See #400880759592 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/400880759592>.

In the HV meter multiplier string, Heathkit used three 4M7/1W carbon composition resistors to TRY to make 'em last (it didn't work). CC resistors absorb moisture ('cuz they're not sealed), and then soar in value. It's more noticeable in high nominal value resistors. Later aftermarket SB-22x rectifier/meter boards substituted fourteen 1M0 Metal Film resistors. The easiest/cheapest thing to do is upgrade the OE PCB. I replaced R6/R7/R9 with 4M7/1W/5% "Metal Glaze" resistors (Vishay pn VR68000004704JAC00). The datasheet (*link* <http://www.vishay.com/docs/28907/vr25vr37vr68.pdf>) sez they're OK to 10KV. Digi-Key stocks 'em for $0.78 each. The rectifiers are kinda wimpy and should be upgraded to 1N5408 (3A/1KV). Order an extra rectifier to add between -HV and chassis for meter protection. Tom W8JI shows how here (*link* <http://www.w8ji.com/metering_amplifier.htm>).

The electrolytic capacitors in the HV supply can be changed to CDE 381LR-series. If you stay below about 300uF, a step-start circuit (Harbach "Soft Start") isn't needed. Everyone sells 'em for about $6/each (to fit the OE plastic holder, you want 35mm OD). Replace the 30Ω/7W wirewound resistors w/ 100KΩ/3W Metal Oxide types. Your HV filter capacitors will like less heat.

I like Jim W7RY's "QSK" circuit. It drives FAST vacuum/reed relays that eliminate hot-switching when using VOX (fone) or semi/full break-in (Morse). You also get a relay driver (Harbach "Soft Key"), adjustable operating bias, relay contacts that will never oxidize, and dead quiet operation.

The cooling fan from Grainger is Dayton pn 4M070 (*link* <http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-1-150-HP-C-Frame-Motor-4M070>)... for over twice the cost from Harbach ($50). For the extra cost, Harbach supplies a fan blade.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC