Re: [Amps] Impedance Match Calculator

To: amps@contesting.com, Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Impedance Match Calculator
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 18:04:33 +0000
Dick,

that's really easy, and there are many calculators online that will solve this. You can find them via your favorite search engine.

I tested the first few that came up. The very first one my search engine found is this:

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/interactive-design-tools/rf-impedance-matching-calculator.html

and it works fine. It says you need 832pF in parallel with the 50 ohm side, and 270nH in series with your load. In practice an 820pF capacitor is close enough, and 270nH happens to a standard value, so it's easy to find if you want to use a ready-made surface-mount inductor, for example.

You gave both the series and parallel values of impedance. You need only one of those pairs to do the calculations. Most commonly the series values. The other pair is redundant information. Maybe this confused you.

This page gives more alternatives, and for the basic low-pass matching network returns the same values as the first one:

https://home.sandiego.edu/%7Eekim/e194rfs01/jwmatcher/matcher2.html

This one is nice too, very easy to use, and of course also returns the same values:

https://leleivre.com/rf_lcmatch.html

There are many more.

Manfred

I did a quick Google on this,