[Amps] SB 220 tick tick tick

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB 220 tick tick tick
From: Chris <chris@chrishays.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 18:18:36 +0000
I really hope this isn't the problem, but many years ago I heard something like this. Interestingly, this only happened when the DX-40 was in standby (HV center tap open). I never could figure it out, until one night there was a loud braaapp from the receiver, and within a few seconds, the power transformer "released its smoke." I'm not familiar with the SB220, but because yours happens with supply on, it is likely to be something else. There was a good ending, as this was long enough ago that Heathkit still had parts for this rig available. I recall the price was about $7.50 in 1963 dollars. I'll leave it to others to calculate the price in today's dollars.

Chris, AB6QK

Message: 5