Re: [Amps] Fwd: Fwd: *** PGXL Questions on CW Operation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Fwd: *** PGXL Questions on CW Operation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 11:10:33 -0400
I can't speak specifically to this amp, but most of the new rigs can run direct, or use an IP for remote operation.  The newer rigs here all have CAT-5, or CAT-6 connections. Each rig has an NIC so they can run of the router giving them the ability to be run local, or remote via the Internet.  Once properly configured many, if not most newer rigs/stations can be operated via the Internet

Fortunately none of the rigs were hooked into the network when a nearby lightning strike induced enough voltage in the CAT-5 gigabit network to do quite a bit of damage to stuff hooked to the network. As solid state stuff can be HURT without failing at the time I'm still seeing computers "it appears" failing from that strike and these are leading edge, if not bleeding edge monsters. (IOW expensive) Even with all the grounding system, a more recent strike took out the Diamond dual band 144/440 antenna and everything downstream except the rig.  It even fried the 30A PS. The new antenna should be here today.  Now I gotta figure out how to get the old one down and the new one up.

73, Roger (K8RI)